Background

Saturday 3 April 2010

New Pencils.....

How lucky am I? Very.......

Today we had to go to Warwick as DH had a hospital appointment and while out he said that we would go and get my Easter pressie. He had already asked what I'd like and with no hesitation I replied "pencils, I'd like some pencils"

To explain how I'd got to this, yesterday at work I had the lovely Mandy Fox come in and we talked for ages about my efforts with ProMarkers and how it was taking me a bit of getting used to them. It was so nice of her to give me her time and show me where I'd been going wrong, mainly putting down too much ink. We then got on to the subject of alternative colouring mediums and she told me how much she like's pencils. We did a bit of blog hopping and I saw some fabulous work by her and some other designers that I fell in love with the idea of using pencils. So last night when I got home I checked out a few websites and You Tube on how best to use them. That did it, I needed pencils straight away - poor Bill.......

So after the hospital we trawled a few different art and craft shops finally finding what I needed much nearer to home. PSW in Studley in fact, a fabby art shop with loads of different drawing and painting mediums and on a shelf sitting there waiting for me was a boxed set of Derwent Coloursoft Pencils with storage wrap. Then after a brief search found paper stumps, Sansodor and extra smooth card stock. That was me sorted, we headed home and they were soon out on my desk.

So pencils out, pc on and You Tube there for me to follow........

I had a quick sort through my stamp drawer (still not sorted out from the other night) and found this lovely lily stamp. Thought being a couple of colours should be ok and with a bit of luck should be to difficult not to muck it up.

Well I did the leaves first. Just put the colour down around the edges of the leaves and a bit extra where the darker shadows would be, then out with the paper stumps and the Sansodor. A quick dip and rubbed away like a good-un, small circular motion I could remember them saying on the video. Not to bad I thought so moved on to the flowers themselves. Feeling a little cocky I decided to put down two colours, Deep Fushia C140 and Bright Lilac C260. Again, but using a new paper stump, into the Sansodor and with more gentle vigour I blended away with a bit more direction following the curves and folds of each petal and I think it shows. The petals, to me at least, look far more natural than the leaves.





Anyway here is a picture of my first attempt and I would really appreciate your comments as I would really like to get better as I love the effect.......

Happy Crafting

julie-Ann xx

2 comments:

Bev Tonks said...

Mum they are absolutely beautiful, well done.

Can i have a go??

Julie-Ann said...

Anytime hun, anytime and thank you...